GridNode Microgrid Solutions
GE’s GridNode Microgrid Solution provides real-time control and energy optimisation that enables customers to obtain the maximum return on investment (ROI) from their systems.
The GridNode Microgrid Solution includes control and automation features such as operations management, transition management, dispatch control and energy optimisation, operations planning, and market participation.
Delivering the following Outcomes:
- Increased Reliability enhancements through real-time detection of unstable system behavior and isolation of the affected system ensuring your most critical infrastructure stays online until normal system operation is restored
- Improved Resiliency by providing a system that can self-isolate from the affected grid and continue to support its loads independently for desired periods of time
- Energy Cost Reduction through a solution that can efficiently manage and optimize your energy resources based on real-time energy market prices, operational costs and energy resource mix
- Increased Revenue by enabling your system to provide ancillary services to the grid such as Frequency Control, Reserve Capacity, and Demand Response
- Energy Security by effectively controlling, monitoring and optimizing your local energy assets reducing your need to rely on a centralized supply
- Increased percentage of Renewables Integration through an energy management solution that supports the transition to new renewable energy targets and policies
- Reduced Emissions from on-site generation sources through the optimal dispatch and management of your energy resource mix
GridNode Microgrid solution is a flexible and scale-able platform that incorporates various real time control and optimization functions based on the customer’s requirements and desired outcome. The GridNode platform is vendor agnostic, having the capability to integrate GE and 3rd party devices.
Functions Provided by a GridNode Microgrid Solution
PLANNED & UNPLANNED ISLANDING
- Ability to transition between the Grid-connected mode and Islanded mode
- Ability to seamlessly transition from the Islanded mode to the Grid-connected mode
POWER EXCHANGE AT POI
- Ability to dispatch microgrid resources in order to manage power flow at the POI
- Coordinate dispatch of various DERs to control the frequency of the island
POWER FACTOR MANAGEMENT
- Ability to dispatch microgrid resources to manage power factor at a reference point (e.g., POI)
VOLTAGE MANAGEMENT/LOAD SHARING
- Ability to control microgrid resources to regulate feeder voltage or the voltage at a reference point on the grid.
RESERVE CAPACITY MANAGEMENT
- Managing the reserved capacity of the microgrid to enhance remaining life of the island.
- Initiate the black start process after confirming microgrid isolation from the main grid.
- Ability to dispatch DERs and loads to optimize the network for: Economic Dispatch, Peak Shaving, Minimize Emissions, and Maximize Renewables
STAGE OF CHARGE MANAGEMENT
- Optimally dispatch the BESS while maintaining SOC within a preset range or limit
- Ability to forecast load and generation
- Smoothing out PV output (5/10/15 minutes averaging) with the use of BESS and forecast data